The Story of Betty, Chapter 9

by Carolyn Wells, originally begun January 1899
BUYING A GRANDMOTHER

Now, Mr. Dick was jesting: he had n't engaged a baby sister at all, and he only made them think so for a joke. And as Betty had set her heart on the wee Polly, the state of affairs was easily explained to the guardians of the other two infants, and so the question was settled.

Mrs. Van Court went to the asylum to see the child, and approved of her appearance, after which she took great interest in buying the little one's wardrobe. Some toys were provided, too, and a baby-carriage with white rugs and cushions. A nurse had to be secured, but the question of servants had not yet been discussed.

"Popinjay," said Mr. Dick, one morning at breakfast, "I 've found a grandmother for you."

Betty looked at him doubtfully, for she remembered the baby-sister joke.

"Yes, I have, honor bright—a beautiful grandmother. Apple-cheeked old lady with silvery hair, pleasant voice, and spectacles. Dost like the picture?"

"Yes, sir," said Betty, demurely; "is it for sale?"

"Well, it will be on exhibition this afternoon, and you can look at it and see if it suits you."

"What are you talking about, Dick?" said his sister.

"Why, I 'm in dead earnest, Grace," replied the young man, "and if you 'll listen I 'll tell you all about it. I was up at the Sandersons' last night, and they were awfully interested in hearing about Betty; and when I inquired if they knew of any grandmother looking for a place, they told me of one at once. She's a lady they 've known for years, and she 's a bit eccentric and old-fashioned, I believe, but they all sang her praises at the top of their lungs. I think she must be delightful, but I did n't buy her at once, for I thought probably you 'd engaged a lot of 'em in your wholesale way. She 's old enough for gray hair and glasses, and yet young enough to keep house for the Popinjay, and look after her welfare mentally, morally, and physically."

"Well," said Mrs. Van Court, with an air of great relief, "it would make the whole thing seem more possible to have a woman like that at the head of it. And any one the Sandersons recommend is sure to be all right. Is she eccentric in her dress, Dick?"

"They did n't say so. I imagine she 's of the 'old woman clad in rusty black' variety. But Popinjay here will change all that, and deck her out in lo-and-behold gowns of all colors of the rainbow."

"Indeed I won't," said Betty, quickly; "she shall have a pretty brown dress for every day, and a gray silk for Sunday."

"Oho! going to keep all the bright colors for yourself and little Polly, are you?"

A quick answer rose to Betty's lips; but she was learning to control her temper, so she dropped her eyes and said nothing.

"Don't tease her so, Dick," said his mother. "Betty's love of bright colors is not a crime, and when she learns the appropriate times and occasions she can gratify it as much as she likes. Tell us more of this interesting lady. What is her name?"

"Her name is Mrs. Kinsey. She is a widow, and lives entirely alone now; but she has been accustomed to taking charge of a large house and family, and would like some such position again. But Mrs. Sanderson gives a tea this afternoon, and she sent invitations for you all to come; and as Mrs. Kinsey will be there, Betty can size her up and see if she is the 'not impossible she.'"

Miss Van Court and Mr. Brewster had an engagement for the afternoon, but the other four concluded to go and see what Mrs. Kinsey was like.

They went in a carriage; and Betty wore a soft white wool dress with cherry ribbons, and her beloved Leghorn hat with its many feathers.

She felt very grand and grown-up going to an afternoon tea, though she had no idea in what that ceremony consisted. As they went she asked Mrs. Van Court for special instructions as to her behavior; but that lady only told her to greet her hostess politely, and after that to look pleasant and say very little: for Betty when trying to be very correct always made her worst blunders in speech and accent.

"Watch mother," said Mr. Dick, "and do exactly as she does."

This was a bit of mischief, for he knew that when Betty tried to copy Mrs. Van Court's manner, she succeeded not wisely, but too well, and presented something of a caricature of the dignified lady.

"You stay by me, Betty," said Mr. Morris. "I 'll look out for you and help you over the hard places."

The Sandersons' home was a very handsome one, and Betty was quite dazzled by its grandeur as she followed Mrs. Van Court through the lofty hall decorated with statues and tall palms, and came at last to the Turkish tea-room where their hostess waited to receive them.

Mrs. Van Court entered, and, her gown being very long, according to the prevailing fashion, she raised it a trifle with her left hand as she crossed the thick rugs. Still holding it, she lifted her right elbow and shook laterally Mrs. Sanderson's extended finger-tips.

"So glad to see you," murmured the hostess, and then Mrs. Van Court presented her young charge.

Unconsciously Betty had imitated Mrs. Van Court's every movement, and daintily holding up her short skirt, she crooked her elbow and offered her finger-tips in exact imitation of her model. This performance much amused Mr. Dick, who came next, and he resolved to warn Betty about it later. As soon as she could make an opportunity, Mrs. Sanderson came to Mrs. Van Court, and pointed out her candidate for the position of grandmother to the small heiress.

Although Mrs. Kinsey was in full view, she was sitting in the next room, with her face turned partly away from them, so the prospecting party could discuss her appearance without fear of being overheard.

"I think she looks charming," said Mrs. Van Court, who was a lady of quick decisions.

"So do I," said Betty, who was quicker yet, "and I 'm going to ask her if she 'll come."

The child darted away, and in a moment they saw her talking eagerly to Mrs. Kinsey.

"Bless my soul!" said Mr. Morris, excitedly, but in a low tone, "what an impulsive child she is! Whatever is to become of her I don't know—I don't know."

"Let her alone," said Mr. Van Court; "she 'll come out all right. She will have her own way, and as her own way is often the best way, why interfere?"

"Yes, of course," said his mother; "but I can't get used to seeing a child of fourteen so independent and self-reliant."

"But she needs to be, my dear madam; she needs to be," asserted Mr. Morris. "In her unusual position, what would become of her if she were of an incapable, undecided nature, and never knew her own mind?"

"That would be far better, for then she could be put in care of some responsible older person and looked after properly."

"I 've an idea Mrs. Kinsey will look after her properly," said Mr. Dick.

And truly it seemed so, for now Betty was sitting on a stool at that lady's feet, and talking to her very earnestly.

When, with one of her sudden impulses, Betty had decided that this was the very grandmother she wanted, she had lost no time in trying to secure her. Mrs. Kinsey was sitting in a large arm-chair, and for the moment no one was talking to her. Betty walked swiftly to her side, and taking the lady's hand in both her own, said: "I have n't father or mother. Will you be my grandmother?"

Mrs. Kinsey smiled kindly at the little girl, for she was an astute old lady, and saw that Betty was asking in all honesty, however absurd her question might sound.

"Are you looking for a grandmother?" she inquired.

"Yes, 'm, I am; but you 're the first one I 've asked, and I do hope you 'll come, for you 're just the very one I want."

"Bring that little ottoman, and sit down here and tell me all about it."

When Mrs. Kinsey spoke she did n't look old at all; indeed, her whole appearance was quaint and old-fashioned, rather than aged. She wore her silver-gray hair looped loosely round her ears and caught up at the back with a single comb, after the fashion of Mrs. Browning or George Eliot. Her face was thin and white, but with bright, dark eyes, and a firmly set chin that told of shrewdness and will-power. Her dress was of plain black silk made in the fashion of many years ago, and she wore a wide lace collar and a brooch of woven hair.Betty brought the stool and sat down, feeling more and more that this was the right one, if she could only persuade her to come. Her anxiety made her very earnest, and she forgot to be careful of speech or manner.

"Well, ma'am, you see I was a poor girl workin' out at service in a boardin'-house; an' all of a sudden my gran'father died somewhere in Australia, an' left me all his fortune. An' it's a great deal of money, an' I 'm takin' it to buy me a home an' a family. An' after that I 'm goin' to buy me some education, for I want to learn all that's in the books. An' I chose for my family a gran'mother an' a baby sister an' a brother. My brother 'll be Lame Jack, but I hope he can be cured of it; my little sister I have spoke for from the Orphan Asylum already; an' it's you I want for my gran'mother. Mr. Morris is my lawyer, ma'am, an' he says I must n't try to buy a gran'mother, but to engage one an' then pay her a salary. But I 'm thinkin' it 's all the same; an' will you come, ma'am, dear?"

Betty's voice had grown wheedlesome, and she caressed softly the lady's delicate hand with her little brown ones.

"What would be your notion of the duties of a grandmother?"

"I thought she could keep house for me, ma'am, an' at the same time be teachin' me to keep it for myself once I 'm older. An' I thought she 'd sit at the head of my table an' pour tea an' coffee, an' I 'd like her to give the orders to my servants, for I 'm afraid they 'd have disrespect of me. I 'm Irish, you know, ma'am, on my father's side; but my mother was an American lady, an' I want to grow up like her. I can't even tell you my own stoiy as it should be told,—I 'm too ignorant,—but I 'll let Mr. Morris tell it. The Van Courts, ma'am, are true friends, an' you would n't believe how kind they 've been to me. Here they 're comin' now."

As she spoke, Mrs. Sanderson approached, bringing the Van Court party in her train. She introduced them to Mrs. Kinsey, and the grandmother project was discussed.

Mrs. Kinsey was straightforward and businesslike. She treated the position as that of an ordinary housekeeper, and stated definitely her qualifications for such service. At the same time she had taken a decided liking to the little Irish girl, and resolved in her heart to become a true "grandmother" to her in as loving a way as possible.

Mr. Morris stated clearly the advantages and disadvantages of the undertaking; for, though the actual work would be light, there was a great deal of responsibility to be assumed by some one, and this would devolve largely on the housekeeper; and in view of this he offered what seemed to Mrs. Kinsey a munificent salary.

She said, in reply, that she appreciated the responsibilities of the position, and if she decided to assume them would conscientiously do her best for Betty's welfare in every way. She said she would consider the matter overnight, and would send them her answer the next day.

Then a hush fell on the whole company of guests, for a lady stood up and began to sing.

Betty could not understand the words, and knew nothing at all of music, but the beautiful sounds went straight to her ignorant little soul, and when they ceased her eyes were full of tears.

"I don't know why I cry," she said apologetically, as Mr. Dick looked at her, apparently ready to tease; "I am not sorry for anything, but I can't help it."

Mrs. Kinsey seemed to understand, and she patted Betty's shoulder with a kindly touch.

"If you enjoy crying over music, Popinjay, I 'll take you to a comic opera to-morrow afternoon. There 's nothing so sad as a comic opera. May she go, mother? I 'd like her to hear some really pathetic music."

"Yes, take her if you like, Richard, but don't tease her."

"No, ma'am; I won't. Popinjay, will you 'Come, oh, come with me? The mo-on is beaming'—it will be, really, you know. The scenic effects of a comic opera are far ahead of nature. Will you go?"

"Yes, sir," said Betty; "with pleasure."

The next day being Saturday, they went to a matin&#eacute;e of "The Mikado." Miss Grace and Mr. Brewster went too, and they all sat in a small curtained room that they called a "box," though Betty could n't see why. It was much more like an elevator, only it did n't go up and down.

The performance on the stage pleased Betty beyond all power of speech. She soon discovered that the sadness of it was only one of Mr. Dick's jokes, and she laughed merrily at the songs and funny speeches and the grotesque antics of the Japanese characters.

She reveled, too, in the gorgeous colorings of the costumes and stage settings, and she listened to the music with a rapt, far-away expression.

When they went back to the hotel, Mrs. Van Court received them with the good news that Mrs. Kinsey had called, and said she would accept the position of grandmother-housekeeper, and could be ready to come in a week, if they desired her so soon.

She and Mr. Morris had had a long talk, and she had proved so clear-headed and kind-hearted that he felt convinced he could not leave his charge in better hands.

They were all glad of Mrs. Kinsey's decision, and as their errands were now accomplished, they began to think about returning to Greenborough.

They decided to go back on Monday; and Mr. Morris, who had only one more week before sailing for Australia, said he would go back with them and remain a few days. Betty felt sorry at the thought of parting from her good friend, but rejoiced that, instead of sailing with him to his far-distant home, she was soon to be installed in a home of her own, which promised in all respects to be what she had longed for.


...to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment