"My Friends the Grizzlies"

by Enoch J. Mills, February 1914
Today we would release the cubs to the wild, but many people in this era kept wild animals as pets. At least Mills was respectful of his bears, and did not force them to dance or to be the "bait" in a fight.
For many years, I have lived in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, a long day's ride from the railroad. During these years in the wilds, I have had many pets among the wild animals, ranging from frisky chipmunks to grizzly bears.

The most interesting of all, however, were Johnny and Jenny, the two little grizzly cubs I caught early one spring.

These cubs grew rapidly during the summer. But, in spite of their seeming awkwardness, they were as quick and as nimble as lively kittens, and as playful, besides. No game was too lively or too rough for them. Often we engaged in tussles that resembled foot-ball, boxing, and wrestling all combined.

It was easy to teach them new tricks, and they were always willing and delighted to engage in any sort of scuffle.

I used to lie down beside these cubs and remain perfectly still for a time. They would investigate me curiously. Sometimes they would shake me gently with their paws, or thrust their noses into my pockets, to see if any candy was concealed there. In the midst of their investigations, I would give a low whistle for my collie dog.

As the dog would come scurrying around the corner of their shelter, the little grizzlies would stand erect to look at him. As he came nearer, they would walk uneasily around me, keeping a wary eye on the dog. At the distance of a few feet, my dog would stop. The bears would eye him narrowly.

By the slightest movement of one hand I could signal my dog to me. He would always come at the signal, whatever the menace of the bears' attitude. He would scarcely reach my side before Johnny would dash forward with a growl and launch a vicious blow, which the dog would sensibly avoid. Then would follow in quick succession the advance and retreat, and the exchange of growls as they disputed for the possession of me, while I kept perfectly still.

When their dispute had progressed far enough. I would suddenly sit up with a whoop. At this signal, they ceased hostilities and rushed pell-mell over me, nipping at hands, feet, and ears, and tugging at my clothes in good-natured fun.

They never ventured far from their snug little shed which I had built for them. When I left home to attend school, an old trapper who lived near us volunteered to take care of my pets. In spite of many misgivings, I finally consented, and delivered the frisky young scamps at his cabin.

Leave-taking from them was not easy. Nor were they inclined to have me out of their sight. We were forced to secure them with collars and chains. I gave each a hug and a vigorous shake in farewell, and hurried away.

On holidays, I went often to the City Park Zoo to see the animals. There were many bears there, but no grizzlies. The keeper was a kind man, and my talk to him about my wonderful pets won his sympathy for me. He invited me to bring my pets to the Zoo, where I could see them often, and be sure of their welfare.

It was at this time that I received a letter from the old trapper, in which he stated that the grizzlies were getting cross and difficult to handle. He fruther stated that they had almost eaten him out of supplies.

With this letter I hastened to my friend at the Zoo. He was sympathetic, and urged me to go and bring the cubs to the park at once.

Securing permission from the school to be absent several days, I hastened to rescue my shaggy friends from a keeper who did not appreciate them nor understand their needs.

The greeting I received from my pets very nearly spoiled my clothes. The greeting I gave them was almost as vigorous. Together we did a bear-dance for joy.

For convenience, I placed my pets in a box with a slat covering. In this way they were hauled to the railroad and shipped by express to the city. They were very well behaved, except that they came near breaking out of their box. when we reached the city and they caught sight of me. They thrust out their paws to me, and poked their noses between the restraining slats for me to pull.

The keeper was expecting us when we reached the Zoo. We freed the husky young cubs, and they obediently stood erect to be formally introduced to the keeper. This introduction terminated in a rough-and-tumble romp, during which I discovered how much my youngsters had grown. I was surprised at their strength. The keeper, too, remarked their wonderful agility and power.

The last cage in the row had been prepared for Johnny and Jenny. It was the keeper's plan that they should share this cage with two other young bears, a cinnamon and a black bear. Both these strange bears were older and larger than mine, but no trouble was anticipated in caging them together.

Leaving Johnny and Jenny to finish the feed which we had given them, I assisted the keeper in removing the cinnamon bear from the big corral where they were freed daily to exercise. With this bear we had no difficulty. When we attempted to remove the black fellow, our trouble began. After many ridiculous failures, we had at last to resort to a rope.

Once we had lassoed the black scamp, he submitted readily to being led out of the corral, but balked at the cage door. No amount of persuasion nor proffers of tempting morsels of food would coax him into the cage. We tried to push him forward; but he resented this indignantly. We turned him around and tried to back him into the door. He was a rogue, however, and thwarted each attempt. Quite a crowd was now watching our efforts with amusement. We were given advice and encouragement and laughed at uproariously each time the stubborn bear slipped from our grasp and eluded us.

In desperation, I at last carried the rope through the cage door and took a couple of turns around the bars at the far side of the cage. With the rope thus securely snubbed, I held the loose end and gathered in every inch of slack the bear gave. The keeper pushed from behind and I tugged at the rope. Still the stubborn fellow braced his forepaws against the sides of the cage door, and we could not budge him farther. For a moment we struggled. Occasionally I succeeded in taking up a little on the rope, but we seemed as far as ever from accomplishing our purpose.

Johnny and Jenny had finished their dinner and had come to investigate the trouble. They were just behind the keeper, pacing restlessly to and fro. With keen interest they watched the struggle, and grew more and more excited.

Suddenly, with an angry growl, the black fellow ceased resisting, and leaped into the cage upon me, where, having simultaneously sprawled upon the floor at the sudden slacking of the rope, I lay at the farther end of the cage. The black brute was now fiercely in earnest, and his attack upon me was ferocious. His first rush was so impetuous that it carried him entirely over me. Wheeling, he lunged at me with both paws, and with his teeth tore a great rent in my sleeve. Kicking out from where I lay, I partly warded off his next rush. Before I could again recover, however, he sank his teeth into my knee.

The keeper rushed in, seized the bear by a hind foot, and dragged it, roaring and clawing, backward. Suddenly, with a jerk the bear freed itself and once more flung itself upon me. I was prepared for this rush, and partly avoided it with my sound leg; but he landed two vicious blows.

As I went down, with the bear on top, I saw Johnny rushing to my rescue. Before the ugly fellow could do me further harm, Johnny had flung himself between us, and landed a telling blow upon the head of my surprised assailant.

For several minutes, the battle raged furiously. The roars and whacks caused an uproar among the other animals of the Zoo. I was knocked down, trampled under foot, and buffeted about for some time before I finally pulled myself up by means of the cage bars. Scarcely was I erect before I was bowled over again.

At last, with the assistance of the keeper, I crawled through the cage door. Inside the battle still raged. The bears would lunge together, furiously biting and striking. They would rise upon their hind legs and strike out with all the strength of their powerful forepaws.

The ugly black fellow towered a head taller than my pet, and from this advantage he rained blow after blow upon the head of the infuriated grizzly. However, with no sign of discouragement, the little rogue stood up and gave blow for blow. After landing a powerful blow upon the black bear's tender snout, Johnny upset him with a sudden furious charge. Before the black could regain his feet, Johnny had tallied several times upon the same tender spot, and completely routed him. Johnny then followed him around the cage, administering sound cuffs until the black was howling for mercy.

The fight would, no doubt, have ended much more quickly than it did had it not been that, in rushing to the fight, Jenny had missed the cage door and had raged out her fury against the bars in her attempts to reach the black ruffian. It was undoubtedly fortunate for the black that he had only Johnny to fight.

The excitement of the combat being over, my bruises and injured knee recalled my attention.

A gentleman who had stopped to witness the melee observed my plight, and kindly offered me a lift in his carriage. I delved into my pocket and brought forth a handful of candy, which I thrust through the bars to Johnny. Then I explained to them that I would be back again, and hobbled away upon the keeper's arm, the little grizzlies standing erect, watching my departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment